Lecture 11: Condemnation
Readings and Review
- Condemnations by St. Pius X
- Anti-Modernist oath
- Benedict XV
- O'Connell, Critics
- Daly, Transcendence
- Loome, Liberal Catholicism
- Ranchetti, Catholic Modernists
- Vidler, Variety
- Schultenover, A View from Rome: On the Eve of the Modernist Crisis Marie C. Buehrle, Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val
- Lester Kurtz, The Politics of Heresy
- Gerald A. McCool, From Unity to Pluralism: The Internal Evolution of Thomism
- W. H. Peters, The Life of Benedict XV
- Anthony J. Mioni (ed.), The Popes against Modern Errors
- Jodock, Catholicism
Suggestions for Review
1) Delineate one of the following themes as expressed in St. Pius X's encyclicals condemning Modernism: denial of transcendence, materialism, perversion of spirituality, denial of authority, influence of modern culture.
2) What did St. Pius X mean in calling modernism the "summation of all heresies"?
3) Discuss the enforcement of the condemnation of Modernism.