Lesson 9: Americanism
Readings and Review
- American culture
- Papal warnings
- Liberal bishops
- Catholic University of America
- R. Scott Appleby, "Church and Age Unite": the Modernist Impulse in American Catholicism
- Thomas T. McAvoy, The Great Crisis in American Catholic History
- Robert D. Cross, The Emergence of Liberal Catholicism in America
- Gerald P. Fogarty, The Vatican and the Americanist Crisis
Suggestions for Review
1) What was the situation of Catholics in the United States at the end of the 19th century?
2) In what sense were some of the American bishops of the time "liberals"?
3) How did they think the Church ought to accommodate itself to the American situation?
3) How did Leo XIII view the situation?