Lesson 5: Alfred Loisy
Readings and Review
- New biblical criticism
- Historical consciousness
- Meaning of Tradition
- Religious experience
- Alfred Loisy, The Gospel and the Church
- ____________ , My Duel with the Vatican
- Francesco Turvasi, The Condemnation of Alfred Loisy and the Historical Method
- Marvin O'Connell, Critics on Trial: an Introduction to the Modernist Crisis
- Gabriel Daly, Transcendence and Immanence, Studies in Catholic Modernism and Integralism
- Thomas Michael Loome, Liberal Catholicism, Reform Catholicism, Modernism
- Bernard M.G. Reardon, Roman Catholic Modernism
- John Ratte, Three Modernists
- Michele Ranchetti, The Catholic Modernists
- Alec Vidler, A Variety of Catholic Modernists
- Darrell Jodock, Catholicism contending with Modernity
Suggestions for Review
1) What intellectual and personal factors caused Loisy to move away from Catholic orthodoxy?
2) What were his attitudes towards Protestantism?
3) What were his attitudes towards the traditions of the Catholic Church?
4) Compare and contrast his approach to doctrine with that of Cardinal John Henry Newman, especially in the latter's Essay on the Development of Doctrine.
5) To what extent was the thought of Loisy included in the condemnations of St. Pius X? (Found in Reardon, Roman Catholic Modernism, and other places).
6) What is meant by "historical consciousness" and how did it affect Loisy's thought?
7) What is meant by "religious experience" and how did it affect his thought?