Lesson 4: The Church and Modernity II
Readings and Review
- Blessed Pius IX and modernity
- First Vatican Council
- Liberal Catholicism
- Leo XIII
- Aubert, Church in Secularized Society
- McManners, Church and French Revolution
- Palmer, Catholics and Unbelievers
- Warren Carroll, The Guillotine and the Cross
- Raymond Corrigan, The Church in the 19th Century
- E.E.Y. Hales, Pio Nono
- ____________, The Catholic Church in the Modern World
- Joseph Altholz, The Liberal Catholic Movement
- Bernard M.G. Reardon, Liberalism and Tradition: Aspects of Catholic Thought in 19th-Century France
- Hubert Jedin, The Church in the Modern Age
- Daniel-Rops, A Fight for God
Suggestions for Review
1) Why was the Enlightenment anti-religious?
2) How did the Church respond to the Enlightenment and the French Revolution?
3) What factors led to a religious revival in the 19th century, even as modernity became increasingly secular and anti-religious?
4) How did popes and other Catholic leaders in the 19th century respond to modernity?
5) What was "liberal Catholicism" in the 19th century?