Lesson 2: The Nature of Modernity II
Readings and Review
- Modernity as anti-religious
- The New Science
- French Revolution
- Revolutionary movements
- Owen Chadwick, The Secularization of the European Mind in the 19th Century
- Coates, et al., Emergence
- Paul Johnson, Modern Times
- ____________, The Birth of the Modern
- Peter Gay, The Enlightenment, Vol. I
- Randall, Making
- Thomas P. Neill, Makers of the Modern Mind
Suggestions for Review
1) Why did modernity develop in ways inimical to religion?
2) What is Modernism, understood in a secular social and cultural sense?
3) Discuss the cultural situation the 19th century, in which there was both a return to religion and an increasingly intense attack on religion.