Lesson 1: The Nature of Modernity I
Readings and Review
- The meaning of Modernity
- Its origins
- Chief elements of Modernity
- Willson H. Coates, Hayden V. White, and J. Salwyn Shapiro, The Emergence of Liberal Humanism (two volumes)
- John U. Nef, Western Civilization since the Renaissance
- Jacques Maritain, Three Reformers
- John H. Randall, The Making of the Modern Mind
Suggestions for Review
1) How can modernity be defined? How does the modern mind differ from earlier ages?
2) When does modernity begin and what caused it? Justify your answer in terms of the particular criteria you identify as defining modernity.