Lesson 4: Counter Reformation Popes and New Religious Orders
Questions and Assignments
1. Assess the achievements of Pope Pius V.
2. Assess the achievements of Pope Gregory XIII.
3. Assess the achievements of Pope Sixtus V. Should he be called Sixtus the Great?
4. Critically evaluate this statement: "The Counter-Reformation popes successfully eliminated nepotism from papal practice."
5. What was the attitude of the Counter-Reformation Popes toward the Bible and vernacular translations of the Bible?
New Religious Orders
1. Discuss the life and work of Ignatius of Loyola.
2. Discuss the Capuchin Reform from 1525 to 1574.
3. Discuss two other new religious orders of the 16th century.
4. Discuss the life and work of Angela Merici and Mary Ward.
5. What was the role of the religious orders in the Counter-Reformation?