Lesson 3: Council of Trent
Questions and Assignments
1. Why did it take the Church so long to convoke the Council of Trent?
2. Why did the Council drag out over 18 years and meet in different places?
3. Why is Trent, one of the smallest of the Church Councils, one of the most important?
4. What do we mean when we say something is Tridentine or speak of a Tridentine mentality?
5. Discuss the decree on justification.
6. Discuss the decree on residence (of bishops and pastors).
7. How did Trent deal with the recommendations of the Consilium de Emendanda Ecclesia?
8. Critically evaluate the achievements of Paul III, Paul IV, and Pius IV.
9. Why did it take so long for the decrees of the Council to take effect?
10. What is meant by the phrase "Tridentine bishop?" Why is Carlo Borromeo considered to be the ideal Tridentine bishop?
11. Critically assess the achievements of Trent. What did it do right? What could it have done better?